Monday, September 15, 2008

Taking the Slow Way to Work

Lady Luck's Vespa hasn't gotten much exercise this summer, so this morning I took it in to work. 

Although the GTS can keep up with freeway traffic, it's more fun to ride on surface streets.  The great thing is, scooters are fun to ride on surface streets.  The same ride on the Triumph would be a touch more frustrating.

There's something oddly enjoyable about tooling through residential neighborhoods on a (relatively) small bike at 6:30 in the morning.  There's much less traffic to contend with, because the same roads that are fun on the scooter are a real drag in a car.

Of course, I still have to fight to avoid racing through neighborhoods at ridiculous speed, scraping bits of the Vespa on the ground as I fly through a curve.  I hear the police frown on doubling the speed limit.  A shame, because it's very, very tempting.

Yep, sometimes it's good to take the "slow" way to work.

4 comments:

MommaDrool said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lady R (Di) said...

If you have to go to work, at least you can have fun getting there! Ride on!

P.S. I deleted the first comment. For some reason, it said I was someone else. (?)

Chris said...

I definitely get it. My ride to work starts somewhere between 5:15 and 5:30 AM. A little neighborhood cruising and some winding stretches on 40-55 mph parkways, right where the LX150 is in its comfort zone.

irondad said...

It's still mostly dark here at 6:30 now. That would be a good time for me to ride a scooter through my neighborhood. With tongue firmly planted in cheek, the reason it's a good time is that none of my neighbors would be able to see me riding a scooter!

Hang in there. Life sounds a little less than restful for you right now. Here's a big dose of "positive waves" to pilfer a quote from Kelly's Heroes.