Sunday, August 13, 2006

All broken in.

The Triumph finally hit 1,000 miles today. It therefore makes sense that everywhere I went I was unable to wind it up to 10,000 (or more) rpms.

That said, this bike is very, very quick even below it's optimal operating speed. There's something really weird about hitting freeway speeds in second gear.

Speaking of second gear, that's where I spent most of my ride today. I went out to Tortilla Flats and managed to find the perfect pace where I was able to dig in to the curves, but I didn't ever have to use the brakes. It was beautiful.

After Tortilla Flats I rode down to the South Mountain park and spent some time tooling around those roads as well. South Mountain has enough twisty roads to occupy a guy like me for most of a day, I believe. The view from the summit is pretty amazing, too. I had to take it a lot easier in South Mountain, because just about every turn had a nasty patch of sand and gravel just waiting to free my tires from their hold on the ground. Of course, it was still crazy fun, and I expect I'll go back and explore that park a little more thoroughly in the future.

Now I just need to find a clear road where I can wind the motor way up and fly that baby to the moon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You'll have to figure out a way to come biking out in Wales. Our pizza is insufferable, but we've got nothing but winding, hilly/mountainous roads.

Lucky said...

That's all the invitation I need!