Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Another One Rides the Bus.

Last night we had a totally awesome, spectacular thunderstorm, as can only be found in Arizona. Sure they're rare, but they make up for it by being the best fireworks show you'll ever see.

And, lucky for me, I was out riding around in it. Getting the full effect, so to speak.

I got home, drenched and a little giddy (prior to the soaking, I had been enjoying the benefits of 1000 more rpms), parked the bike and watched the storm from my bedroom window. Then I went to bed.

This morning I went out to the garage and tried to start the bike.

Only something went horribly, horribly wrong.

Instead of starting immediately and burbling contentedly as I put my helmet on, the Triumph chose to do nothing. The headlights came on, and the backlight for the displays came on, but the numbers and idiot lights didn't. Pushing the starter resulted in nothing happening. The problem seemed familiar.

I checked the kill switch. I disconnected the battery for a few seconds. I pulled the fuses, checked them and reinserted them. I made sure it was in neutral. I raised and lowered the kickstand a few times. I even called it a few choice names.

Nothing.

I hustled over to the bus stop and got to work rather late (the bus ride is a little over an hour long).

Needless to say, I was a bit steamed.

I called the dealer, and the mechanic over there told me that my bike will behave in this retarded way when the killswitch in the "off" position. He suggested I try flipped it a whole bunch of times with the ignition off, and then try again.

So I guess we'll see if that works tonight. I sure hope so. This whole "buy a bike, have it break down" situation seems like it's happened before.

No comments: