Wednesday, June 21, 2006

What the...

This evening as I was leaving work, I had a new experience. As usual, I set my helmet on the seat, attached my tank bag, put my gloves and shades on the tank bag, picked up my helmet, turned on the ignition and hit the starter button.

Nothing happened. The headlight and other lamps all worked, but the starter button didn't even blow a raspberry.

As you can probably imagine, I was not pleased. I tried flicking the kill switch on and off a few times, as well as the ignition. No joy. Wiggled the wires coming from the starter button. Nothing. I had resigned myself to push-starting the bike, and was actually starting to move the bike into position when it occurred to me that a fuse may have burned out. I popped the seat off, removed, inspected and reinstalled all the fuses (they were all fine). Seat back on, I hit the starter again, more for giggles than any real hope that it would start.

The darn thing started. Crazy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lucky,

I've had problems like that, right before my starter blew... I think that can indicate a weak battery as well though, as starters draw loads of current. So the lights still work, but you don't have the juice to turn it over.