Thursday, April 06, 2006

Official Pizza Review - Pizzeria Bianco

Holy Crap! Two reviews in one week! This has got to be a record of some sort.

You know, except for the "no money, havin' to do housework" part, not having a job rocks.

Anyway, 'Slice of Heaven', a pizza tour/review book by noted non-motorcyclist Ed Levine rated Pizzeria Bianco the best pizza place in America. Naturally, when a place is declared the best in America, and it's less than 30 minutes from my house, I gotta go check it out.

The Place: Pizzeria Bianco
623 E Adams St.
Phoenix, AZ 85004
602-258-8300





The Pie: The Sonny Boy - Salami and kalamata olives

The Posse: The usual band of misfits - Me, Lady Luck, Baldy-Beard, Bo and Baby-Bo

The Crust: The crust was the single best part of the entire experience. I hate to describe it as such, but it was crunchy on the outside and chewy on the inside. I think I could have easily eaten just the crust with a little butter and garlic. 5 Crying Luckies




The Sauce: The sauce was, shall we say, discrete. It tasted like tomatoes, and that was about it. By now, you all know that I think the sauce should have a prominent role in any pizza, so I was a little disappointed. It didn't suck though. 3 Crying Luckies

The Toppings: For one thing, I discovered that I don't like kalamata olives. That's not the restaurant's fault, and I just picked them off. After that, it was pretty fine. I learned that they make their own mozzarella, which gives them mad DIY points. The olives and salami combined to make for an intensely salty pizza. Personally, I'd hold one or the other (but I don't like the olives, don't forget). 4 Crying Luckies

The Ambiance: They're in a groovy old building that used to be a blacksmith's shop. Since it used to be a forge, I had to love it. It's a tiny, tiny place, which presents a problem - a two freakin' hour wait, even though we showed up before they opened. The staff were wonderful, and this would certainly be a good place to bring a date. Provided you and your date are comfortable hanging out outside for TWO FREAKIN' HOURS. They don't take reservations unless there are 6 or more in your party, so you can see the problem for the romantic pizza-fiend. 3 Crying Luckies




The Ride: Downtown Phoenix in rush hour. Roadwork. Confusing one ways, and asshats everywhere. 1 Crying Lucky

Overall: Originally when I started "The Great Motorcycle Pizza Tour," I thought I'd tour the country looking to find the BEST pizza in the U.S. While I'm sure I'll eventually find "the best," I doubt I'll give it a grand title like "The Best Pizza In the U.S." I'll probably call it "My Favorite" or, "The Pie You MUST Try Before You Die" but not the "Best."

Why not? Because having had the "Best" pizza in the country last night, I can honestly say I've had better (that's for another review...). That's not to say that Pizzeria Bianco wasn't good. It was really good. The wait sure sucked though, and there are other pizzas I've liked more.
4.5 Crying Luckies

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you ever have the misfortune of coming to Indianapolis, check out Some Guy's Pizza. It's the best pizza I've ever had. I worked there for about 6 months and never got tired of the food.

(For some reason, I think I told you that before. If so, pay no attention to the crazy double poster.)