Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Scruples, Skittles and Shizzle

Today I went to Sonic to grab some lunch. For those of you who haven't been to a Sonic, it's one of the last bastions of drive-in eating. You park and order, and they bring the food to your car. No rollerskates, but that might be asking a bit much of today's teenagers. And imagine the lawsuits!

Anyway, today my server neglected to charge me for my meal. Being an honest guy, my first thought wasn't "woohoo, free lunch!" but instead "where the hell is she going?"

I hung around for a minute or two, and I have to admit I was tempted to leave without paying.

Instead, I went up to the burger-building and grabbed one of the employees and let him know I still needed to pay. He said, to quote, "oh, wow, thanks for your honesty."

Without getting all preachy, what the hell is wrong with the world that some kid at a fast food joint is amazed by honesty? I was just doing the right thing.

To end this not-preachy-at-all rant on a related but different topic, I strongly recommend Sonic's cherry limeades. They're just good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Same thing happened to me when I got a pizza from a joint with a pick-up window a few months ago - the kid was shocked, then relieved when I pointed out that he gave me my food & receipt without taking any money (I think he was new on the job). I also always use "please" and "thank you" in my day-to-day dealings with people (just how I was raised) and it's surprising how often your average cashier is taken aback by it...

Anonymous said...

mmmm... cherry limades. i miss 'em, they closed all of our sonics.