Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Learn to cross the street, lady!

At a very busy (six lane) intersection on my way home from work last night, I was getting ready to turn right. There were a bunch of pedestrians in the crosswalk, so I waited for them to cross. Some woman with a kid who apparently was just learning to walk was crossing. She was leading this little kid by the hand across SIX LANES OF TRAFFIC. I'd like to emphasize that this was a very young child. Like two.

It took about 30 seconds for them to make it across my lane. Then they started to cross the other road, ANOTHER SIX LANES, the same way. So, I waited for them to get ALL the way through my lane (another 4 minutes or so). Meanwhile, some guy in a vehicle named after an experience he'll never have (expedition / navigator / hummer) is two feet behind my ass HONKING.

You can see why I might be a little distracted by the time I started actually turning right. Halfway through my turn, I nearly stalled (distracted), so I snatch the clutch and the engine revs WAY up. Once I've got my shit together again, I hear this woman yelling at ME.

Lady, pick your goddam kid up when you're crossing the road and you won't EVER have to hear a frazzled commuter rev their engine in your beatific presence. And have a nice motherfucking day.

No comments: