Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Cell Phone Menace

I usually don't immediately pass drivers ahead of me in the HOV lane that are going too slow. I've found it's necessary to observe the slowbie's habits, especially if they have tinted windows.

This afternoon, I wound up behind the stereotypical frustrating hybrid driver in the HOV lane. Couldn't maintain speed up hills. Would speed way up when someone passed on the right, then slow down again for no apparent reason. I noted a speed variation between about 80 mph and just over 55 mph.

If the driver is just slow, I just pass and don't think about it any further. But when they're inconsistent in their slowness, I keep back until I can get a car or two of cushion between my rear end and their front end.

That opportunity didn't present itself today, so I had one slow ride (except for occasional quickness) home. Eventually, the slowbie ahead of me got to the right, and I passed. I glanced over and, wouldn't you know, they were on a cell phone.

I think there is enough anecdotal evidence about the dangers of drivers on their cell phones to justify immediate vehicular detonation when they're spotted...

3 comments:

Gary France said...

I am surprised it hasn't already been made illegal to use a cell phone when driving in the States. It had been illegal in most of Europe for a long time now and there are high penalties if you are caught using one.

It has now got to the point that it is considered to be anti-social behavior and other road users, especially bikers, vent their feelings towards any that still break the law.

Canajun said...

We've just started to do that in Ontario as well. But there are still many of them out there on cell phones, or doing their nails, or shaving, or eating breakfast, or fumbling for a smoke, or......

The sooner it becomes anti-social behaviour here, the happier I'll be.

Mark S. said...

Cell phone users and drunk drivers have nearly identical erratic driving patterns and the crashes they cause are equally as devastating. Due to this, I think their penalties should equal that if drunk drivers.

Strangely enough, the root causes are equal too. People care more about their personal good times and socializing than the safety of those around them.

I seen bluetooth devices to enable a motorcyclist to talk on the cell phone! Only a suicidal person would try that.

Studies easily prove that it's not the act of manipulating the cell phone that's the problem. It's the brain shifting it's attention to the conversation.

I'm preaching to the choir here I'm sure.