Thursday, March 04, 2010

Deja Vu on my Commute

This morning I got stuck riding behind a black S.U.V. on the freeway. Of course, the driver was a slowbie, and wouldn't move to the right to let me pass. I slowed down to maintain a safe following distance, and cruised along to my exit.

The S.U.V. took my exit. Nothing weird there. Then they turned the same way I do. Again, not that weird.

Then, after the next stoplight, they were off to the races. That was weird. They did weird things like changing lanes back and forth for no reason and passing another car which was travelling plenty quick.

I coincidentally followed this truck all the way to my parking garage, where the driver did an abrupt U-turn I'd seen performed by a black S.U.V. another time...

It made me think of a detail in Wiseguy, how the gangsters would drive erratically to see if they were being followed. Apparently someone was a little paranoid this morning.

Dear S.U.V. pilot - I'm still not stalking you. I'm still not trying to kill you. We just happen to take the same route to work in the same place. Have a nice day.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Lucky:

There was a time last year where I was following a commuter on purpose. Every morning along the same stretch of road this particular vehicle kept passing on the right, tail-gating, changing lanes like the Indy 500. One morning I snapped. He came up behind me and was tail-gating. I slowed down slowly and went about half posted speed. Then he changed lanes and tried to pass on the right. I also sped up to block him, then when he pulled behind I slowed down to half speed. Eventually he got the message and backed off. He eventually got in front of me due to slow traffic. I changed lanes and followed him. He speed up tried to lose me. I sped up. Then he slowed down to a crawl, I stayed right behind him. For miles I was behind him, even diverted my morning route to stick with him. Eventually he made it to work and I was right behind him. Even went into his parking lot to turn around and give him the EYE. Then Left.

For the past nearly a year now, I have not seen this car again.

bob
bobskoot: wet coast scootin

cpa3485 said...

I am frequently amazed at what some drivers do just to get to the next stoplight a little quicker.
Remind me never to bother Bobskoot when he is out and about.

Gary France said...

Lucky: If you ever see bobscoot with a baseball bat, be afraid. Be very afraid.....

irondad said...

Meth heads are some of the most paranoid things around. Notice I didn't use the word "people".

Lucky said...

bobskoot - Yeah, it's funny how bullies and jerks will scurry away when confronted. I'm glad things didn't go any farther than that.

cpa3485 - I always catch people at the next stop light. I have to restrain myself from yelling "You sure outran me to this red light, jackass."

Gary - I make it a point to avoid anybody carrying a baseball bat if they aren't en route to home plate...

Irondad - Well, we've got a few of those around here...