Monday, August 04, 2008

Lost a Bike, Gained a Bike

So some rotten degenerate stole my bicycle and a few of my tools out of our garage at some point during the last week.

I discovered this on Saturday when I went to get out the Triumph and noticed a bare spot in the garage where my mountain bike had been.

They also swiped a couple screwdrivers and my Craftsman ratchet. Not the sockets, just the wrench itself. Honestly, I'm more broken up about the wrench than my bicycle. I mean, I liked my bike, but that wrench and I have some history. I've worked on every car and motorcycle I've owned, along with various other things using that wrench. And now it's gone because some filthy, poo-smelling bike thief took a shine to it.

Bastard.
Lady Luck says she's surprised I didn't go out on a "Pee Wee's Big Adventure" style hunt for my bicycle.

On the other hand, I bought a 2004 Vespa ET4 (and a new garage lock) on Saturday. The new bike fits nicely where the old bike was. I bought the Vespa as my first major step towards getting my business going. It needs some touch up paint, as the previous owner had a low-speed get off during her license test. I also have to take a look at the bendix (Vespa for "Starter Clutch") as it's makes a funny noise for a second when starting the bike. But otherwise it's straight and runs good.

Frankly, I'm a bit overwhelmed from everything. I spent Saturday night floating in our community pool, staring up at the night sky, trying to comprehend how much had happened in the last 12 hours.

The plan for this week is to find a shop that does motorcycle paint, transfer the title to me, get the bendix fixed up, and then get that sucker out the door again. Exciting!


4 comments:

Gymi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gymi said...

Nice Scoot, I feel the same way about my tools. They are with you though thick and thin. I have sold a ton of my stuff, but never any of my tools. May the thieving bastard that stole you stuff be get hit by a bus while riding it.

P.S.

I have a pizza review comming for you soon.

irondad said...

Sneak thieves make me livid. I always ask, just once, to let me catch one. God, in his wisdom, has prevented that so far. I have to trust it's better for me that way.

Whatever you do, don't get attached to the scooter if you're going to send it away again. Don't pet it or feed it.

Lucky said...

gymi - Sweet, can't wait to see your review.

irondad - yeah, if I'd caught the guy I probably would have wound up chasing him down the street with a shovel.

As for the scooter, I've been pretty good about compartmentalizing "My Scoots" and "For Sale Scoots"...