Friday, January 05, 2007

Cooking with Motorcycles?

This morning I marvelled at the temperature gauge on the Triumph. Even in the cold this bike gets crazy hot. It gets up over 212 degrees Farenheit, which as we all know is the temperature water boils at (generally speaking).

That's hot.

I'm aware that there is a cookbook out there with tips on how to cook on a car's engine. For those who think playing tiddlywinks is excitement enough, that might be fine. But for those of us with serious thrill issues, a picnic is just another lukewarm sandwich if there isn't a trace of adrenaline still coursing through our veins.

On cold days, why not use the motor's heat to brew coffee on the ride to work?

I've noticed that Lady Luck's Vespa produces a lot of heat in the area under the seat. I wonder if it could be used as a crock pot. After all, after a three hour ramble, a pot roast would taste mighty fine.

These are the kinds of things I think about at stoplights.

6 comments:

Chris Cope said...

Actually, this has been done. My brother frequently places a frozen breakfast sandwich wrapped in aluminum foil in the compartment under the seat on his bike (I'm blanking on which one -- it's a Honda). At the end of his 30-minute commute to work, he's got a hot breakfast

Biker Betty said...

Someone else mentioned it once and I half-heartedly have actually tried to figure how to attach even a chicken sandwhich to somewhere. There is the top of my motor, but that would probably be too hot. Maybe if I tried a steak and some vegi's, but then I don't want it boiling over onto my motor.

Oh darn! guess I will have to eat out, lol.

Combatscoot said...

You have a good imagination. I don't think those kind of things at stoplights...
As far as cooking with a bike or scoot's engine, I think whatever endeavor you try, heavy use of aluminum foil would bring success. For some reason, I keep thinking of the Reynold's Wrap ladies... maybe a skit with them plastering foil-wrapped perogies atop the cylinders of a Ural, donning white 3/4 helmets that match their lab coats and disappearing down the road.
John

Anonymous said...

I once rode 270 kms (one way) to pick up some curried noodles from the town where my grandmother lives. I stuck them under the seat of the 916. When I got home, they were still nice and hot, and were great for breakfast.

Anonymous said...

If you get the chance to look on the foodnetwork website, check out a series by Alton Brown called Feasting on Asphalt. In one of the four parts they cooked two different ways on the bikes.

Dan

Lucky said...

I can see a possible problem with this cooking technique, now that I think about it.

Imagine that you're mighty hungry, and cooking something on your bike. And you get to a stoplight, and you can smell your delicious moto-nosh, but you're not at a good stopping place.

Torture.

Worse, what if you make something that stinks, and you can't get the smell off of your bike for a long time.