Friday, October 06, 2006

Attention!

One of the big keys to staying alive and unspoiled on a motorcycle is staying focused and attentive while riding. A pleasant side-effect of that focus and attention, for me at least, is noticing things I never payed attention to when driving my cage. As a cautious driver, I usually noticed dummies likely to spoil my commute, but I rarely noticed things outside of traffic.

Although Lady Luck is the master of spotting interesting places, I tend to notice shops and restaurants (particularily pizza joints) much more while riding than when in a car.

Since I ride to work every day at pretty much the same time, and usually along the same route, I've started to notice other commuters who share my route and timing. I recognize most of the people at each bus stop every morning, to the point that I wonder where some of them are when they aren't there.

Anyway, it continues to amaze me how much more interesting the world is from the saddle of a motorcycle. And if you'll excuse me, I'm going to get back to daydreaming about where I'm going to ride to this weekend.

1 comment:

Steve Williams said...

Indeed the world is more interesting from the seat of a bike (or scooter in my case). I often write about this on my blog and it is the single reason I ride. While I enjoy the financial savings that goes along with commuting it is the heightened appreciation of the world and life that continues to seduce me.

steve