Monday, July 31, 2006

Is 500 miles in a week a lot?

Saturday morning I got up bright and early to bring the Triumph in for it's 500 mile service. I got to the dealership a little early, and had to wait a few minutes for them to open. The guy who sold it to me was the one who opened up the shop, and he said "I knew you'd be in here for the first service in no time."

Another one of the salespeople asked what I was in for and was a little surprised I was in again so soon. The tech who worked on it said something along the lines of "Didn't you buy this like two days ago?"

I dunno, 500 miles in a week doesn't seem that much at all on a bitchin' new motorcycle.

So, as you've probably gathered, I really, really like the Triumph. The combination of power, nimble handling and powerful brakes make it feel like I'm riding solely by the power of thought. After tomorrow (maybe tonight) I should have enough miles on it to open up the throttle a bit more and take it on the freeway.

I've read a lot of comments that talk about how the Speed Four doesn't make much power in the lower revs (below 8000 rpm). Frankly, I can't wait to see what the bike is like when it's in it's powerband. I'm already pretty stoked about how much more power it has than the VX. This bike is quick.

Lady Luck commented, when I first brought it home, that it sounds like a sewing machine. That may be, but it is the sewing machine that stitched together the garment of doom. Also, after about 5,000 rpm it stops sounding so innocent, and works up a good howl. As I get closer to 6,000 rpm it's more like a swarm of angry bees.

I've been a little surprised by how much attention the bike gets. It seems like everyone has to take a second look. Of course, it is an unusual bike compared to the number of SV650s, R6s and CBRs out on the road. There's nothing wrong with any of those bikes, but they are somewhat common. The Triumph stands out quite a bit.

Anyway, this bike absolutely rules. I strongly recommend that you go and buy one, or maybe two. Do it now.

No comments: