Thursday, May 25, 2006

Tough Decisions and Risk.

Earlier this week, I got a job offer from an employer that I was pretty interested in working for. The problem was that the compensation, benefits, work, company size (read: layers of red tape), possibilities for advancement, etc. were identical to the job I already have. The big pluses were that it'd be a permanent job (I'm contract to hire right now), it's not an evil corporation (the level of corporate evil at my current employer isn't too high either) and that my potential new boss is also crazy about motorcycles.

I spent Tuesday night and all day Wednesday trying to decide what to do. Neither job really came out a clear winner, because the pros and cons of each job negated the pros and cons of the other job.

Finally, last night I decided to just keep the job I have. It was the riskier choice (there's never a guarantee about the "to hire" part), but I'm not afraid of a little risk. Especially when my commute is much shorter (if my commute to the other job would have taken me along twisty backroads, instead of freeways and stoplights, my choice might have been different).

Risk makes everything a bit more interesting. Life gets pretty boring when you know exactly what is going to happen every day. Making a choice when you can't be 100% sure of the outcome is a thrill.

There is always a possibility that the things you want to happen, won't. When you're willing to acknowledge that and take the risk anyhow, suddenly you're in control of your destiny. You haven't given in to the illusion of safety and comfort. Now you're actually living.

Taking risks isn't limited to employment choices. Every day a choice with an element of risk presents itself. It could be deciding to try a new dish at a restaurant, or choosing to get on your motorcycle and ride to work from now on (incidentally, choosing to ride your bike is the right choice 99.97% of the time.).

Accepting risk and being at peace with it is the only certain path to security and freedom. When you accept responsibility for your life, actions, successes and failures, then you can truly be free. When you can live with the fact that things will not always be perfect, and that's ok, you'll have true security.

Personally, I'll take freedom over the illusion of security every time. How about you?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, your really waxing philosophical lately. Right on.

Lucky said...

Yeah, it comes and goes. Wax on, Wax off, you know...