Monday, May 22, 2006

As Concerns Fear

A frequent question I get from former (and leisure) riders here in Phoenix is "Aren't you afraid of the traffic?"

Well.... no. And yes.

I had a drag-racing video (on VHS. Remember VHS?) when I was a kid. In that video, I believe it was John "Brute" Force who said something along the lines of "When you stop being scared, it's probably time to quit."

Now, I don't think he meant that he, and other racers, are petrified during the race. If they were, I doubt they'd win many races, and instead would most likely meet a high-velocity demise early in their career (Of course, I've never been in a funny car. Maybe they do cry for their mommies for those 5.426 seconds between hitting the go button and hitting the stop button.)

No, I think what he was saying is that a certain degree of fear means that you're going to be paying attention, and will be more likely to stay alive. Certainly in rush hour traffic in Phoenix (more asshats per capita than any city in the world), a certain level of fear is going to help you keep from getting squashed.

On the other hand, there's a big difference between "fear" and "terror" or "panic." Riding in a panic is bad, ok? First off, when you're panicked you aren't thinking clearly, and your actions are not rational. Where fear will keep you focussed on planning and executing escape strategies, terror will let you fixate on that tree/large truck/flaming garbage can (face it, if you were under 18, on a bike, somewhere that burning barrels are allowed, you probably almost crashed into one at some point.) and ride straight into it.

Riding straight into things is bad. Evading and dodging things is good.

So, am I scared when I ride? No. I have a healthy dose of respect for the giant rolling paperweights around me, and I take action when needed to avoid getting smooshed. Since I go out of my way to plan for contigencies (Everyone remembers Scan-Identify-Plan-Decide-Execute, right?), when evasive maneuvers are required I calmly take action to prevent my untimely demise.

Incidentally, yelling "oh shit!" is always a part of my plan of action. I just wanted to make sure we're clear on that. I'm still calm.

No comments: