Thursday, March 02, 2006

Taking the scenic route home

This morning I gassed up and hit the freeway to go to work. About 5 miles from my office, the engine missed once. At 80 mph, that's awfully noticeable, and I thought to myself "wtf?"

Then it missed again and I was like "WTF?"

Then it missed again. "W. T. F.?"

As I was getting off the freeway it missed again, and as I downshifted it backfired so loudly I thought someone was shooting at me. W.T.F.??

So, I got to work and pondered my situation: No truck to bring the bike home. No backup vehicle to drive to work tomorrow (the rat-buick won't start due to a dead battery). No lunch.

It's enough to make a burly, bearded rider (bet you thought I was going to say biker, eh?) cry like a little girl.

I arranged to carpool with Lady Luck tomorrow, so that's ok. Then I got her to give me directions on how to take the surface streets home.

So, I rode home and the VX didn't so much as hiccup. WTF?

I guess tomorrow night or Saturday morning I'll get a can of Seafoam and take her out for a good long ride (damn) and see if that takes care of the problem.

Now, about my scenic route home. Holy crap, it's awesome! At least 8 of the 20 miles are delightfully twisty, hilly roads. Best of all it only took 15 minutes longer than my usual superslab route. I think from now on I'm ALWAYS going to take that way!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The scenic routes are the ONLY way to make it home after work. I'lll agree a morning commute in to work on backroads may prove less than an enjoyable experience but there's nothing like the thrill, zen-like peace and harmony of winding down on the back roads during your ride home.

My commute was at least an additional hour longer this way but I'd arrive home happier, clear-headed and well-rested.

And what better way to end your day than with an extra hour on the bike?

I found a lot of cool places to visit this way- a pond with benches abd a park to stop off and nap at, a 70's throwback chinese takeout joint, a couple of truly townie bars, and one of the best pizza restaurants around. Good times!