Wednesday, September 07, 2005

One more reason I love to ride every day.

I filled up my tank last night. It cost me less than $10. I spent an extra 5 minutes at the gas station waiting for a Hummer or some other gargantuan, entirely useless truck to pull in so I could dance around in front of them waving my receipt and singing the "Happy Happy Joy Joy" song (or perhaps a new Oompa-Loompa song extolling the virtues of a fuel-conserving vehicle).

Luckily for everyone, none showed up.

Has anyone else noticed a number of people who have started driving extra slowly? You know, the "my gas mileage is best at 55 mph, and that's exactly how fast I'm going to go, and if you don't like it, you can go around me" types. If they'd only get motorcycles, it wouldn't be a problem.

On the other hand, the last thing the motorcycle world needs is a bunch of yahoos switching to bikes for the gas savings and getting killed because they insist on talking on their cell phones and drinking triple-mocha-half-caf-whiz-bang-frappe-lattes while on the road. I can see the media and lawsuit frenzies now...

In other, related news, the U.S. is apparently getting more and more "Mad Max" every day. This morning I saw a car abandoned in the right lane on a busy road, with no flashers/flares/anything. If the excitement in New Orleans continues, soon the U.S. will be all tanker-truck-raiding, thunderdome-fighting, funky-hairdo-having fun fun fun. Get your flat black rattle cans ready now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sharpening my stainless steel boomerang as we speak. I think the ratty CB550 will fit right in the post apocalypse. I like the blog.

Anonymous said...

soon the U.S. will be all tanker-truck-raiding, thunderdome-fighting, funky-hairdo-having fun fun fun. Get your flat black rattle cans ready now.

I'm ready! Well, if my bike is still in shambles, I can put some cow print on my VW Golf and knock out all the windows. Oooh the joys of stealing gas from rolling tankers... we can dream can't we?