Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Garbage Bag Engineering

Have I mentioned yet that I love rat bikes? If you haven't already, you should check out ratbike.org

As I mentioned yesterday, it's been raining fairly consistently for the last couple days. The seat on my bike is ripped right up front, and there is a lot of foam exposed. I didn't really want that to get soaked in the rain, because I know I would get off the bike looking like I wet my pants. It's hard to be taken seriously as a scary biker when your crotch is soaking wet.

Yesterday I talked a co-worker with a covered parking spot into sharing their roof with me. For today, I brought a plastic grocery bag and put it over the end of my seat like a cond... uh, a swim cap. It looks to me like it oughta keep my seat-foam dry, but I won't know for sure until it rains.

Either way, I couldn't help but stand back and admire the terrific ugliness of my solution. It brought me back to when I was a kid in Minnesota and my mom would make me wear bread bags inside of my Moon Boots in the winter. So practical. So effective.

So cheap.

p.s. Since Coop was nice enough to mention my blog on his page, I'm going to have to go buy some of his stickers and slap 'em on my helmet. Once I've got 'em on there I'll put a picture up.

No comments: