Wednesday, October 16, 2013

How To Experience the Entire Middle Coast

This is going to be a quick post, because I have a cold and my brain is being non-cooperative when I try to write anything more complex.

There is a route, called the Great River Road.  Well, I think there's a guy with a somewhat-similarly-named blog who might just have to ride it.

Based on a cursory investigation, it looks like the Great River Road starts at the Mississippi river headwaters, and follows the river all the way south.  That's 3000 miles of Big Muddy awesomeness, is what that is.  I may be sheltered, but this is the first I have heard of such a thing. I mean, I assumed it was more or less possible to follow the river south, but I didn't know someone had conveniently laid out a route for me already.

It's going to have to be done.  

...After having a glance at a calendar, it's going to have to be done next year, probably. Dang it.  On the other hand, I can probably explore a bit of the road close to home before the end of the riding season. Hmm.

Details here: Great River Road

6 comments:

mq01 said...

well looky there, it appears to be a road that may make triumph happy, woohoo!

Lucky said...

It appears so! And I suspect there are enough interesting foods and sights along the way to keep me happy too.

Let's see, 3,000 miles. That works out to... oh. 10 days one way on the Triumph, assuming I want to stop and look around now and then. Hmm.

Well, I can always start with just exploring the route here in MN.

Anonymous said...

Good find!

RichardM said...

I think Chris Luhman blogged about that trip a few years ago. And there's always Alton Brown's Feasting on Asphalt 2

Coop a.k.a. Coopdway said...

The River Road is a good route, but there are many offshoot roads that would add a lot to your trip.....allow LOTS of time :)

Kathleen Jennette said...

It's always fun to find another reason the explore. Looking forward to reading about it!