Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Dr. Moto and Mr. Hyde

I got to ride to work today.

It was a good day.

My entire personality changes when I get to ride.  Or, more precisely, when I don't ride for a long time I become a sullen bastard.  When I have recently ridden, I'm just about the jolliest, boots-wearing, good-time-seeking guy you'll ever meet.

After a long period of non-riding, after the withdrawal symptoms go away, I stop noticing my bad mood.  This is a bad thing.  Fact is, all I have to do is go out for a quick 50 miles or so, and I'm good to go for a day or two.  If I'm not aware of my bad mood, however, it won't occur to me to go out riding.

Sometimes, Lady Luck notices and chases me out of the house with a broom, threatening dire consequences if I'm gone for less than two hours and she doesn't see at least one receipt for gas when I get back.  Between you and me, I'm the luckiest man in the world.

Anyway, today I rode in to work, so I was a happy camper even when I had to deal with some minor stupid events at work.  

I don't know why psychiatrists don't ever prescribe "motorcycles" for depression and stress, but it's probably because they wouldn't get any repeat business.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It works for me too. You are lucky that you live in Arizona. Even in extreme heat you can ride. In Minnesota's winter it is more of a challenge. I currently don't have a bike to sacrifice to winters street grime/salt. However it isn't impossible as the intrepid Gary, from Rush Hour Rambling fame, has showed us. Didn't you live here before?

Nick

Doug C said...

Riding IS therapy. And what's the old adage? You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office... unless its the pshrink's.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, it feels great to feel the freedom in riding!

Anonymous said...

I was cranky as all hell yesterday. But I got to ride to work today, and now I'm as happy as a pig in mud!

Riding definitely is theraputic ;-)

Lucky said...

Nick - Yes, I used to live in Minnesota. If I lived there, I'd make a point to have a winter beater motorcycle. Gary is one hardcore mofo. If I lived back there, I'd sure try to hang out with him more often.

Doug & Mrs. RC - No doubt. For me, my bad mood disappears as soon as I hit the powerband.

hieyeglasses - Truly, it does.