Monday, September 11, 2006

Favorite Tool: 3 pound hammer

I bet you're thinking that this is going to be about all the wrenching I had to do on my bike this weekend. Well, it's not. And apart from some chain maintenance, it was a wrench-free weekend.

It was not a tool-free weekend however, as on Saturday night we went and saw Tool. Now, honestly, I was really there to see Isis, but I liked Tool's latest album so I figured it'd be a pretty good time.

Isis was good, but they only played for 30 minutes. Is it just me, or are bands getting lazier? It's ok, I've seen them before when they were headlining, and they played for at least an hour and a half that time.

On to the Tool show: I don't want to give too much away for those who haven't seen Tool yet on this tour, but when you do see them, tell me you didn't think "hmm... Tool on Ice!"

There were a couple giant screens showing bits of Tool videos and other graphics during the show. Now, I forgot that Tool's videos give me the jibblies. Their videos are so similar to nightmares I had as a kid that I got a bit disturbed during the show.

When we left, one of the guys let us know that we'd seen "Tool on five," meaning it was a half-assed show. See, Maynard got beaned by a water bottle some doofus in the crowd threw during the second song, and left the stage for the rest of the song. Then he came back for the next song, but he didn't sing until the last line. And then he just stood there singing (more or less) for the rest of the show. My understanding is that he normally flies around the stage like a "crazy monkey," (to quote our buddy again). Disappointing. I don't blame him for being mad, but it was a bummer that he just kinda hid by the drum set for the whole show.

Anyway, it was a good show all the same. They're some talented fellas.

1 comment:

Surly said...

The last time I saw Tool, Maynard was wearing only whitey-tighties and one half of his enitre (head and face included)body was painted white and the other half blue. He stood at the front of the stage with a mic in each hand and stood on one leg for most of the show. Easily in the top five of all shows I've ever seen.