Thursday, August 31, 2006

The Bike as Catalyst

I've pretty much always loved motorcycles. I haven't, however, always owned motorcycles. Prior to last year, I only rode when the opportunity presented itself.

Then, last year I purchased a motorcycle of my very own (the VX800). Since then I've ridden every day, more or less (time spent broken down is always frustrating).

I've noticed that I've changed quite a bit since getting my bike. I'm more confident, more tolerant of risk and I usually smell like petroleum and exhaust now.

I think that, treated with the appropriate respect and mindfulness, a motorcycle is a powerful catalyst for personal change. Riding requires constant attention to the external world, as well as what your body and mind are telling you. It only stands to reason that, given enough saddle time, a rider is going to learn a hell of a lot about himself/herself.

When riding, one has to assume complete accountability for one's own ass. If you do something stupid and get killed, it's your fault. With a few exceptions, most wrecks are avoidable.

Once you can accept that your life is entirely in your own hands, it's not a stretch to start changing things about yourself that you don't like. Crappy job? Get out of it. Poor health habits? Change what needs to be changed. Ultimately, your life is always entirely in your own hands. Sometimes, a fella just needs something to remind him of that. I always suggest using motorcycles to remind yourself of your free will.

One also needs self-reliance, especially when riding solo. I personally believe that doing your own wrenching is a vital part of the motorcycling experience. One also needs to be willing to push their bike a mile or two when it needs to be done. After you've done a roadside repair in bad weather, suddenly most other problems in your day-to-day life seem pretty easy to deal with (not to mention how much more you'll like your garage once you get home), not to mention your awareness of what you are capable of.

Life and motorcycles can be thrilling, scary, frustrating, glorious and beautiful. Ultimately, it's your choice whether you grab on to the bars and take control, or get in line with the rest of the cagers.

5 comments:

Chris Cope said...

I'm getting close and closer to wanting to buy a bike over here. I think the child bride would tolerate it more because the roads are smaller and the drivers are more used to dealing with things like motorcycles and bicycles. We'll see...

Lucky said...

Well, being in the UK, the only way you can do that righteously is to get a Triumph. In fact, since you ARE where you are, it would be poor form not to get a Triumph.

Or a Lotus. But don't get a Jaguar (they were ok until they decided to enforce the pronunciation of their name).

I'll tell you what, you just need to convince the child bride that she needs a Vespa. After that, it's all downhill.

Biker Betty said...

I got my first motorcycle March of last year. It is such a freeing of the soul. Especially when I did my first solo out of town over a weeka ago. Now that was soooo fun.

Many of our male friends have told my husband he is so lucky I ride. They can't convince their wife/girl friend to let them get one. Through my riding I have actually swayed a few of the female perceptions to liking bikes.

Anonymous said...

Talking about switching Jobs hahaha I think I might be out of here in 2 weeks YAYAYAYAYAYA

Surly said...

Someday my paint will come.....