Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Money, it's a gas.

Today I officially accepted my new gig as incredibly-powerful-behind-the-scenes-computer-nerd. As I mentioned, the place I'll be working is minimally evil, and should keep me amused until I can get my own business running.

Anyway, my computer nerd dues have finally been paid, and I'm going to be making a reasonable living. I'm not going to be rich, by any means, but I will be making enough to finally afford a new bike (but not a Ducati).

The possibility of actually getting a new bike set me off, again, on the bike-shopping path. There are a lot of options for a guy like me, because I pretty much like every single bike I see.

But I believe I have nearly come to a decision. It's going to be a Triumph Thruxton 900, or a Triumph Bonneville T100.

That brings me to the next problem: how am I going to pay for the thing? Triumph's financing plan, to be kind, sucks shit through a purple curly straw. I'm not paying that kind of interest.

So what the heck do I do? One option is the old "delayed gratification" method of saving up and paying for it in cash. That'd be fun, because I've always wanted to go into a dealership with a briefcase full of cash and buy a bike.

Of course, that'd probably get me on a couple more government lists. The last thing I need is a fifth black helicopter following me around.

Or, I guess I could try and find a better loan. It's less dramatic, but might have faster results.

A tricky decision, to be sure.

The kind of decision that should be made over pizza...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Find a better loan - if the dealership sells other makes of bikes, sometimes you can buy ANY bike the dealer sells on a manufacturer credit card (I know Yamaha does this, for example). You might also look for a credit union (Many cities have credit unions that you don't have to work for any particular employer to join, you just have to open a savings account with $25).

Anonymous said...

I'll make you a hell of a deal on a Puch Magnum.

Lucky said...

It looks like the dealer does, in fact, have a different financing program. I guess I'm going to have to go and get some more details about that.

Surly - can you deliver it?

Anonymous said...

Alternatively.....keep the old VX and spend a few $ on it to keep it on the road for another 100,000 miles. Thet are a damn good bike, and anything that shows useage and careful maintenance is better than yet anothe shiney new bike in my book.

Congratulations on the job.

Anonymous said...

Yes, for a nominal fee. I have vacation time and I've never been to AZ. Oh, and I love pizza.