Friday, April 14, 2006

Stopping to help

Yesterday I was out running some errands, and I saw sharply-dressed guy on a GSX-R pushing the bike out of the middle of an intersection.

Naturally, I pulled in as quickly as I could to see if he needed help. I do, after all, carry a leatherman, a large adjustable wrench, and little concern about stripping bolts on other people's bikes.

Just kidding about that last bit.

By the time I got to the side of the road, he had gotten the bike running again and pulled up next to me with a "what the hell is this thing doing?" kind of look on his face. Apparently, it would start fine, and he could sit there are rev the motor up to his heart's delight, but he'd put it in gear and the thing would die within 10 feet. I watched it happen twice.

He told me that he was test riding the bike, and that he'd decided not to buy it. I told him that seemed like a pretty good decision.

So, why the heck would it just up and die like that? My first thought is "operator error," but I didn't witness anything out of the ordinary (that doesn't mean he didn't have it in 4th gear, though). Any of you mechanics out there want to hazard a guess?

Anyway, I offered to follow him, but he told me not to worry about it. I hope he and the bike made it back ok.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Providing that the guy actually got the bike that far, he probably knew how to ride. No idea what could be wrong with it though. Maybe that's why it was on the block in the first place.

Anonymous said...

the kick stand kill switch was probably loose and thats why it died when he put it in gear.

Anonymous said...

If it sounded like it was bogging down, GP shift pattern, it wasn't 1st gear he was in, but 6th.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like someone put my old VW Golf engine in a bike!