Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Moto-Stealth pt:1

Quiet Pipes Save Minds.

Lots of guys want crazy loud pipes on their bike. I understand the joy of a little rambunctious cacophony now and then. After all, I play guitar, enjoy heavy metal, and have even been in a few metal bands. Loud is fun.

Personally, I like the decibel levels of my stock pipes. They're just loud enough that I can hear the engine at sub-freeway speeds (above 60 the wind noise drowns them out).

Loud pipes get attention, but a lot of times, I'd just as soon not be noticed. For example, when I'm screaming down the freeway and blow by a cop at a healthy 80 mph, I'd really rather he didn't hear me. I'm already hard to see, if I'm quiet I can sneak by unnoticed, all ninja-like.

I also enjoy leaving my house without announcing to all of my neighbors "HEY! I'M GOING TO RIDE TO WORK NOW!!" Frankly, I have a hard time dealing with how much they notice already.

Now I just need to come up with a catchy antithesis to "loud pipes save lives" that I can put on t-shirts and get rich.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The last AMA magazine had a lot of stuff on noise restrictions and some big name racer guys in pointed ads about qieting down or well all lose our right to ride. There is also lots of talk about not allowing us to change the pipes under penalty of law. I guess I'd better baffle the straight pipe on my Sprint.

Anonymous said...

The first season I had aftermarket pipes on my bike I rode with the baffles out - not anymore. After about an hour my ears would be ringing, and when letting the bike warm up (the Yamaha Stars are pretty cold-blooded) the nosy old biddy who lived next door would come out on the porch and shoot me dirty looks... not worth the hassle.

Anonymous said...

I have a race can on my Thundercat. I do feel quite embarrassed starting it up in the mornings and always drive through residential areas in a higher gear than I should.

I wouldn't get rid of it though because of how it affects the engine. There's a 3bhp increase which isn't much in itself but the whole power curve is smoothed out. Low down power is up (making it easier to ride through residential areas in a higher gear) and fuel economy has improved an average of 8mpg in everyday use.

And it looks good which is of course the most important thing. I haven't been stopped because of my 'can but the police round our way are quite relaxed about it. Unless you also have a small numberplate, black visor and have just landed a 100mph wheelie. Then they might want a quiet word. ;-)

Anonymous said...

I'm kinda for and against them at the same time. I can't stand riding behind someone with loud pipes, but I still like to hear them from a distance. I think all the noise brings a lot of anger in our direction from the non riding community. You can still get after market pipes that make a good growl without sending you to the ear doctor.

Anonymous said...

What?
(sorry, couldn't resist)