Saturday, January 28, 2006

The Danger of Trying New Things

Last night Lady Luck and I were trying to decide where to go for dinner, and I wound up looking for restaurants near our house on the web. We managed to agree that Chinese sounded good, so the real trick was finding a place that seemed the least likely to suck.

As you might have gathered, we eat at restaurants a LOT. Our tastes have become a bit refined (picky) and we aren't content to eat somewhere that is merely adequate. You say "Applebee's", I say "Get out of my house."

The problem is, we've been to a lot of crappy places, tried a lot of crappy food and gotten a lot of crappy service. Frankly, it's kind of scary going to a new place. Chances are it's going to be a shithole.

I don't know about you, but I don't have the time or money to spend at crappy restaurants. If I can make better food at home, I'd rather just do that. Who wants mediocre food?

Apparently, everyone. Look at how massively successful chains like Pizza Hut, Chili's, Red Lobster and T.G.I. Friday's are. Try getting into one of those crapholes on a Friday night. Meanwhile, there are some amazing restaurants that manage to stay in business, but don't get anywhere near the traffic of the big chains. Doesn't that bother anyone else?

Anyway, to wrap up the story, we tried a new Chinese place that was freaking awesome. The restaurant was pretty full, but we still got seated right away and best of all we were supporting a small business. I'd say it was a successful Friday night!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brotha,

You speak my language.

If you ever make it to Boston, Mass, I'll gladly bring you to the best restaurants from Plum Island to Provincetown.

And of course, absolutely no chains.

Cheers,
paul